Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Music Tax Plan Warner's has hired Jim Griffin

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 06:47:45 -0700

From: David P. Reed [dpreed () reed com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 9:05 AM
To: David Farber
Cc: ip
Subject: Re: [IP] Music Tax Plan Warner's has hired Jim Griffin

Given that Commissioner Martin has pushed hard for unbundling cable
channels, I wonder why monopoly franchise holders will be permitted (as
a matter of antitrust law) to "bundle" a new fee for services that many
users may not want?

OK, I forgot.  The antitrust laws have been eviscerated.  Government is
free to hand out monopolies to its best campaign contributors, and faux
"competition" will keep it in check.

All of us lovers of Warner's packaged product will be thrilled that our
neighbors are subsidizing the marketing and distribution to us.