Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: College Board eliminates computer science AP test

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 12:58:46 -0700

From: Peter Wayner [pcw () flyzone com]
Sent: Saturday, April 05, 2008 12:09 PM
To: Tim Finin
Cc: David Farber
Subject: Re: [IP] College Board eliminates computer science AP test

What I find fascinating are the battles over the language for the
courses. Long ago, there was a fight to move from C to Java, a
decision that was fraught with business implications. Now some are
pushing for more dynamic, untyped languages because that's where some
of the excitement is.

But given the graph on the ACM blog site, it doesn't seem to me like
there's been much of a decline. It doesn't come close to mirroring
the boom and bust in college enrollments. So I'm not surprised that
there's also some redesign of the curriculum in play too.

-Peter