Interesting People mailing list archives

Disney Unsubbing

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 15:29:15 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Matt Murray <mattm () optonline net>
Date: August 18, 2008 9:57:56 AM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: mattm () optonline net
Subject: Disney Unsubbing

Dear Prof. Farber,

Perhaps for IP.

Two weeks ago, I received the marching orders to get a "Super Speed" back pack for my grandson. Orders not to be trifled with (from SWMBO*). I do some quick searches and also use my head and go straight to the Disney site since the characters and the movie "Cars" are owned by the Mouse machine.

I plug the order in, unclicked "spam me with swill from outside vendors" etc. I tend to do this normally to avoid the tera-gigs of unwanted noise.

The grandson received his packpack (and lunch box), which is just about as tall as him. He is ecstatic. As we have heard before, "Mission Accomplished." Except that the Mouse company decided to send me email everyday promoting some other product within the Disney shopping lines. I dutifully click the "unsubscribe" after day two of the emails. The confirm page pops up. I click to confirm and receive the following message:

Add me to the Disney Shopping, Inc Do Not Email list

The request to add mattm () optonline net to the Do Not Email list has been recorded. Please allow up to 10 business days for your request to be processed.

Grandpa is not pleased. What, are they using card readers for the unsub requests? I tried making a few phone calls to customer (lack of) service, etc. but all everyone had to say was the "10 days for the request to go through."

I will tell you this, and if a Disney employee is on the list please take note, I will do my darnedest to warn others and avoid purchasing another Disney product (disclaimer, if SWMBO says buy more "Cars" paraphernalia for the grandson, I will have my new marching orders, except with a dummy address this time (how about walt () disney com?).

Thanks for letting me vent.

Matt Murray

Mobile 203.856.3703
MattM () optonline net