Interesting People mailing list archives

Anonymity (a note from Reed and a reply from Steele

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 14:18:37 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Shari Steele <ssteele () eff org>
Date: December 2, 2008 8:44:26 AM EST
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Editors note incl. Dangerous Precedents Set - Federal Criminal Charges for Violation of Commercial Online ToS?

Hi Dave.
Feel free to forward this to the IP list.

<sigh> We don't champion an absolute right to anonymity. Our much more nuanced stance is that anonymity should not be able to be pierced unless there is something more than an empty allegation of underlying criminal wrongdoing--there must be some proof that there is actual illegality involved--not absolute proof, but enough proof to make a case. Predictably, most folks who try to find out the identity of an anonymous poster (or, more correctly, a pseudonymous poster) have no proof of wrongdoing and are looking for that identity for retribution purposes. A brief look at our website would make this clear to anyone who wants to check it out.

I don't expect to change David's mind about us, but I sure would be honored to have his support.
Shari

Shari Steele                                        ssteele () eff org
Executive Director                             415.436.9333 (voice)
Electronic Frontier Foundation        415.436.9993 (fax)
454 Shotwell Street
San Francisco, CA 94110

Become an EFF member!  -- http://www.eff.org/support/