Interesting People mailing list archives

Service of legal papers through Facebook

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 12:02:56 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Paul Levy" <plevy () citizen org>
Date: December 17, 2008 10:41:16 AM EST
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: Service of legal papers through Facebook

One of my colleagues, Margaret Kwoka, has directed my attention to an inrteresting case from Australia in which a couple who had, apparently, been ducking personal service of lien notices relating to a mortgage default were served by a private communication through Facebook.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/3793491/Australian-couple-served-with-legal-documents-via-Facebook.html

Curiously, a Facebook spokeperson is quoted as being PLEASED by the ruling which, he said, "validate[d] Facebook as a reliable, secure and private medium for communication."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/12/16/facebook-lien-notice-now-_n_151341.html

Paul Alan Levy
Public Citizen Litigation Group
1600 - 20th Street, N.W.