Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Free Press Proposes Broadband Infrastructure Bailout of $44Billion --- More Taxes to Give Wealthy Companies that Failedto Build Out Their Networks]

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 19:12:53 -0500

I must comment. The Universal Service Fund idea has, from all I hear, been very profitable to the carriers and less than a useful way of getting services to education , communities etc. Repeating this is a prescription for more of the same bad results. Also and more important targeting any money to "enhance" the efforts by the existing infrastructure suppliers will

1. freeze in existing technology and business structure that will not evolve in step with our technology nor our national needs.

2. promises will be made that will not be kept ( remember the promises made in Pennsylvania and not kept)

3. Rates and profits will continue to climb and make broadband too expensive for many

FCC, or not FCC, the politics of the well supported industrial lobbies and contributions will win and guess who looses.

Dave Farber

Begin forwarded message: