Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: NYT article on the (ever-more-sophitsticated) bot wars

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 21:17:38 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Karl Auerbach <karl () cavebear com>
Date: December 10, 2008 8:17:03 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: tlauck () madriver com, dpreed () reed com, spaf () mac com
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: NYT article on the (ever-more- sophitsticated) bot wars

David Farber wrote:

From: Tony Lauck <tlauck () madriver com>

1. Owners of networked computers would be held legally responsible for all activities performed by their computers

Well, as a lawyer I find that a somewhat difficult proposition - particularly since it is unclear what is fully "proper", what is merely lack of etiquette, and what is worthy of limitation or sanction. And the botnet issue is one in which things that are individually merely annoying and not individually unlawful can cumulate and become dangerous and a menace to organized society.

But setting those difficult questions aside for the moment, this issue of protecting the network from the users is something that has interested me as a techie for a very long time (since the mid 1980's).

Over the last few years I've discussed (and have worked on) what I call the "internet demarc" - the point of delineation between what in telco-ese is customer premise equipment and what is provider equipment.

I do have normal, sane interests - like restoring full size steam locomotives. But I also have a perverse interest in funny widgets like the old ISDN NT-1 and telco lightning protectors - things that the telco's use to protect their infrastructure from things that users or nature might do at the edges.

Normally these kinds of protective devices would be a boring concept. However, I'm looking at it from the point of view of a means to bring about my larger goal, that of turning the internet from a mirage of being a utility grade service to the actuality of being a utility grade, even lifeline utility grade, service. (See my paper From Barnstorming to Boeing - Transforming the Internet Into a Lifeline Utility - http://www.cavebear.com/archive/rw/Barnstorming-to-Boeing.ppt with my notes at http://www.cavebear.com/archive/rw/Barnstorming-to-Boeing.pdf)

Building a utility grade internet will not be easy given the fact that the net is composed of a balkanized world of competing carriers and that much of our internet software is of quite poor quality. (By-the- way, I do support a gentle and slow, but inexorable, introduction of legal liability for software flaws and the outlawing of blanket exclusions of liability in software license agreements.)

So my approach is twofold: create a box that makes it easier for providers to diagnose and repair net problems while, at the same time, acting as a kind of reverse firewall that tries to constrain the bad stuff that a customer might emit onto the network.

I do this by creating a demarcation that is quite intelligent - something that knows enough to prevent at least the most obvious forms of bad behavior of customer equipment from flowing onto the net. This is non-trivial: It is difficult (but not impossible) to go beyond simple heuristics - like blocking packets bearing wrong source IP addresses.

One aspect of such a device in terms of free use of the net is that such a device is a remote-control switch that could be used to disconnect (or monitor) any user (modulo end-to-end encryption). Local providers have that ability already - they could just unhook the user's IP-level wire or attach a wireshark - but this kind of box extends this so that "bad people" (including perhaps overzealous gov't actors) might be tempted to pull the switch or do remote monitoring. In other words, this kind of facility needs to be protected else it can become another place where bad things may be done without anybody knowing.

Such a demarc can do many other interesting things that could save providers a pile of support money - such as obviating the need for grandma from calling the provider tech support and being told "open a command window and run 'tracert'".

As I said, I've been poking at this concept for more than two decades - I've got bits and pieces running. And I've publicly written about it (hopefully creating a derail should anybody try to patent such a device.) I've just been too busy with other things to actually finish it.

In the longer term it would not surprise me that if such devices existed (either as physical units or as certified software that could be stuck into non-bypassable control paths in software based systems) that either providers or governments might require that such devices be used in order to attach devices to the net.

There are many troubling implications of devices that purport to protect the net from the user; but I foresee something of that ilk on the horizon. It seems to me that the best way to forestall the bad aspects is for good people to build these boxes so that they contain only the minimal amounts of the kind of scary stuff that has underlain the cases about telco immunity. And we don't want to give yet another tool to the movie and music distribution industries to use in their effort to label many internet users as copyright criminals.

                --karl--