Interesting People mailing list archives

Metcalfe Pitches Terabit Ethernet

From: DAVID FARBER <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 19:03:07 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: dewayne () warpspeed com (Dewayne Hendricks)
Date: February 23, 2008 11:04:00 AM EST
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <xyzzy () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] Metcalfe Pitches Terabit Ethernet

[Note: This item comes from friend Ken DiPietro. Go to the article for the link to the full interview. DLH]

Metcalfe Pitches Terabit Ethernet
FEBRUARY 21, 2008
<http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=146628&print=true>

Bob Metcalfe thinks 1 Tbit/s Ethernet is inevitable, and he also believes the industry will have to tear down some standards to get there.

The "Father of Ethernet," as he's often called, will be delivering one of the keynotes at next week's OFC/NFOEC show in San Diego, sketching what he believes will be the path to get to 1 Tbit/s speeds.

And in an exclusive LRTV interview, Metcalfe points out that the path might leave behind the equipment and even the fiber that's been in the network for years.

"There comes a time when standards have to be overthrown," he says. "We're going down into sort of a dead end. I think that dead end is deep enough that we'll get to 100 Gbit/s. The evidence is, to get to terabit Ethernet, we'll have to break out of that dead end."

Metcalfe, of course, has no problem with that kind of thinking.

"There's now room to break loose of the stranglehold of standards and now move into some really fun new technologies," he says.

[snip]