Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: The United States is facing a crisis in broadband connectivity - again the madness of same old

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 09:04:29 -0800

Agreeded  djf
From: Bob Frankston [bob37-2 () bobf frankston com]
Sent: Friday, February 01, 2008 10:26 PM
To: David Farber; 'ip'
Cc: 'Dewayne Hendricks'; Bill St. Arnaud
Subject: RE: [IP] The United States is facing a crisis in broadband connectivity - again the madness of same old

Oy again �C "The challenge with broadband in North America is lack of facilities based competition. What we need to
find out is why the big telcos and cablecos are not deploying infrastructure in their competitor's territory?”

Duh. Do I need to again point out that the reason we don’t see a lot more deployment is because the carriers are not
stupid and they learned the lesson of the fiber bubble -- abundance is their enemy so they need to be very careful to
avoid excess capacity which will drive their price below their cost. Tim Wu called our current system of
government-charted companies privateer funding �C he used the example of the East India Company but I prefer to use the
example of Sir Francis Drake raiding Spanish shipping for the booty.  A while back I pointed to a Reason Magazine
article arguing that the Dumont network had to die in the early 70's because the FCC deemed that the marketplace could
only support three TV networks.

I agree with Bill St Arnaud that we should be skeptical about massive government projects �C especially when they
inherently at cross-purposes with the idea of the Internet connectivity. All the value is in the externalities which is
why funding the transport in isolation doesn’t make any sense. There is no value in the network itself �C just in the
use of the network and that value shouldn’t be trapped by the network.

The reason Utopia, and other efforts are in trouble is because they are simply mini-bells but without the scale to hide
the dysfunctional aspects of such funding. They don’t provide local abundance or much advantage, if any, over the large
carriers with deeper pockets. They are also don’t take advantage of fungible connectivity and instead build redundant
infrastructures without protocols to enable meshing outside their infrastructure. We also confuse speed with value so
pay a lot for now and lock us into the present �C I’m willing to start out with less to drive a dynamic that will give
us gigabits and more. Note that the fiber proposals mention nothing about wireless connectivity.

When will it become obvious that you fund common infrastructure as infrastructure. This is local infrastructure funded
locally (at scale) and not that old idea of a natural monopoly run by a benevolent Ma Bell or, worse, an intelligent
regulator. With aligned incentives we don’t need to worry about broadband because we get Moore’s law type hyper-growth
as soon as we decouple the physical infrastructure from our use of it. We also can evolve solutions rather than having
the imposed.

We don’t need theory because we see this happened whenever there was the opportunity �C the fiber bubbled show what
happened when the Telcos didn’t carefully manage availability. And we have gigabit home networking wired and 100Mbps
unwired with no incremental cost vs. broadband which is limited and expensive. And the examples go on and on.

Why spend $100,000,000,000 when we can light up the existing copper and get immediate connectivity everywhere for
almost nothing �C especially if funded locally and if we can update the software in access points to provide access the
nearly 100% wireless coverage we already have? Again, I’m not arguing for Cioffi’s 100Mbps over copper �C that’s
possible but even at modest speeds we get most of the value and we drive the dynamic.

The fiber proposal reminds me of structured wiring designs from the mid-90’s �C it specific coax fiber bundle homeruns
throughout the house. I called it structural wiring because it could hold up the house by itself. Turns out that all
the gigabit networking used thin copper and none of the bulky stuff! Speed is nice but people will pay for it locally
once they start understanding connectivity but for now providing a few megabits on DSL while using the existing cable
infrastructure for television is a far better strategy. $1e11 might seem much but why waste it?

So why do we keep trying harder and harder to do what we know can’t work because the incentives are 180°s out of
alignment?

So why we are showing the signs of madness by taking a system that is inherently nonviable and roundup the usual
suspects and telling them we’ll pay them to destroy the value of their business. Fiber is a wonderful transport �C
especially if it complements wireless. But it’s not the end-in-itself. It’s just a technology �C the issue here is
aligning incentives.

PS: As others have noted we need to be careful playing the gap game �C I argue that the European deployments still
suffer the Minitel problem of being wonderful solutions lacking the dynamic to move beyond their design point but
perhaps they will figure it out and make the fiber available as such and that’s when we should really worry because it
will be a repeat of the dynamic that gave the US the advantage in the days of the dial-up Internet. Remember that it
was dial-up, not high speed, that gave us today’s Internet.

Look at the chart of broadband speeds only adds to the confusion. Reminds me of visiting Nigeria in the 70’s �C lots of
very high speed 4 lane highways connecting nothing to nothing.

PSS: Can we stop using the offensive term “Lawful uses”? There was a reason we added the Fifth Amendment to the US
Constitution! Next we’ll hear about lawful free speech.

http://www.frankston.com/public