Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Your Thermostats or Your Life!

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 04:03:02 -0800

From: Esther Dyson [edyson () edventure com]
Sent: Sunday, January 13, 2008 10:38 PM
To: David Farber; ip
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:   Your Thermostats or Your Life!

Much better to give the user power and
*incentives* to manage his own use.  That is what
GridPoint does, in essence allowing individuals
and small businesses to participate in a
real-time, dynamic energy market.  Those who have
solar panels or other generating equipment can
sell into the grid, and any of them can buy when
demand is low, store it and sell when demand (=
prices) is high.  www.gridpoint.com.  This
modulates demand (and the need for peak
capacity); it also lowers average costs by
shifting the market towards the lowest-cost sources of power.

(Disclosure: I am an investor.)

Esther Dyson