Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Silicon Valley: Chinese universities take lead from UC-Berkeley in producing Ph.D. hopefuls

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 07:14:03 -0700

From: Steve Lamont [spl () ncmir ucsd edu]
Sent: Friday, July 18, 2008 9:19 AM
To: David Farber
Subject: Re: [IP] Silicon Valley: Chinese universities take lead from UC-Berkeley in producing Ph.D. hopefuls

The pipeline into America's Ph.D. programs used to flow from
Berkeley. Now, the highest number of students pour in from China's
Tsinghua and Beijing universities. Trailing third is the University
of California-Berkeley, . . .

So?  Compare the population of China to the population of the US.

There'd be something wrong with China if it didn't have a large number
of PhD-qualified students.

We have this bizarre notion in the US that we *must* be Number One in
everything, when simple probability and demographics say that we most
likely wont be.

Eeek!  Yellow peril!

                                                        spl