Interesting People mailing list archives

Internet founder blasts ISPs for hurting national interests

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 14:50:35 -0700

From: Dana Spiegel [dana () nycwireless net]
Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2008 4:57 PM
To: David Farber; karl () cavebear com
Cc: ip
Subject: Re: [IP] READ Internet founder blasts ISPs for hurting national interests

The internet is suffering from too much concentration of ownership, I
think we can all agree on that.  We have too many Telcos, Verisigns,
and
Googles and too few Brett Glass' and Lariat.

I agree, but...

What we need are not so many rules that say "no" but more rules that
say
"yes" to new investment by new competitors.

We need to open the doors so that new players will provide
alternatives
to the existing telco and cable TV local copper.

Rules and Regulations don't prevent new companies or even existing
companies from making investments or making money. This is a
completely bogus perception.

I was having a discussion with some folks from highly regulated
industries (finance, healthcare, etc.) last night about innovation and
investment and making money. The consensus was that taking the
position that regulations prevent you from innovating and being
profitable is just an excuse. The smartest companies are ones that
view regulations as just part of the business operating environment
and innovate within and around their confines. Yes, you might not be
able to do whatever you want (and thankfully so), but (some) people/
companies/investors are smart enough to figure out innovative new ways
to make money even within highly regulated industries.

The reason why we don't have more Bretts and Lariats is that the
monopolies of the telcos/cablecos are unfairly stifling innovation.
Yes, the FCC does do their part in not opening up more free spectrum,
but the problem is that the incumbent monopolies are preventing new
entrants to the marketplace.

We don't need fewer regulations, we need the right ones to prevent use
of the monopoly power that telcos/cablecos have amassed.

--
Dana Spiegel
Executive Director

Read the Wireless Community blog: http://www.wirelesscommunity.info

NYCwireless is a non-profit organization that advocates for, and
enables the growth of free, public wireless networks