Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: weakness in the DNS protocol

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 01:49:15 -0700

From: Erik Huizer [huizer () cs uu nl]
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2008 4:30 AM
To: David Farber
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:     weakness in the DNS protocol

Dave,

While I mostly agree with your assesment I'd like to point out that
something is moving in the DNSSEC area. PIR, the registry running .ORG
has initiated deployment of DNSSEC. In April it submitted a plan for
DNSSEC deployment to ICANN, which was ok-ed at the last ICANN meeting.

The PIR board decided we did not want to wait any longer for a signed
root and that we need to move forward, carefully, to get field
deployment experience at the least.

Gr.
Erik Huizer
a PIR Board member

prof. dr. Erik Huizer
Internet Applications
Institute of Information and Computing Sciences
University Utrecht
The Netherlands