Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Oregon Copyright

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 06:04:01 -0700

From: Carl Malamud [carl () media org]
Sent: Saturday, June 21, 2008 9:42 PM
To: Steven M. Bellovin
Cc: David Farber
Subject: Re: [IP] Oregon Copyright

On Jun 21, 2008, at 6:36 PM, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

I'm delighted to hear what Oregon has done.  I wonder, though, if
there
might be a problem with "third-party statutes".  There are a number of
documents -- the National Electrical Code comes to mind -- that are
drafted by outside organizations that own the copyright; these
documents are then enacted into law by assorted legislatures.

That's what I meant by the words "local" and "codes."  As with court
opinions and red herrings such as star pagnination, it appears there
may be some promise in cases where Intellectual Property is
asserted over documents that have been enacted as laws, such
as electrical or building codes.

I'd love to hear from any readers who have specific cases where
such codes have been restricted.   Actual conflicts are much easier
to adjudicate.

Carl