Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: in all fairness,

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 06:44:15 -0700

From: Bruce Kushnick [bruce () newnetworks com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2008 4:55 AM
To: 'Brett Glass'; David Farber
Subject: RE: [IP] in all fairness,

Brett,

I admire you and your work, but to claim that the validity of the argument
presented in a paper depends upon who he or she is, is argumentum ad
hominem.

It's a fallacy, and someone of your stature shouldn't be doing that.

I always examine the actual data presented and have continued to do it
throughout the decade. I'd be glad to debate any of these groups or persons
as there analysis is usually skewed by missing some important point.

In this case, I'm also not talking about personalities -- this is about an
overall transparency issue the continues to show up in every aspect of our
discussions --- and as an independent source, our voices don't have the
clout because we can't do the lobbying or get the press -- these guys have
press groups that handle their output.

And Brett, you of all people should realize that it harmed your entire
Internet Provider business. The push for the duopoly was predicated on
removing the internet service providers, and the Bell companies' groups help
to make sure that the FCC, etc would buy into the modal-competition model.

According to Crandall, the reason the CLECs and ISPs were going out of
business was because of failed business plans  ---

This is about transparency and the ability to have a fair and balanced
dialogue..., not one paid for by corporations.

http://www.newnetworks.com/clecharm.htm

Bell Funded Study by Brooking's Crandall on CLECs Is Flawed.

This report is an attempt to supply evidence that the Bell companies'
anti-competitive behavior and lack of enforcement has been the major
impediment for competitors to offer local phone and DSL/Broadband services,
not the Competitive Local Exchange Companies' (CLECs) business plans as some
would suggest.

A recent report titled "An Assessment Of The Competitive Local Exchange
Carriers Five Years After The Passage Of The Telecommunications Act "
written by Robert Crandall, Senior Fellow at the Brookings Institute,
(released June 2001) and funded by the Bell backed USTA (United States
Telecommunications Association) concluded that the collapse of the CLECs'
market was caused primarily by their own mistakes and not caused by the Bell
companies treatment of competitors. We believe Dr. Crandall's conclusion
unwarranted and his analysis flawed by his decision to ignore an ample body
of evidence to the contrary.