Interesting People mailing list archives

TSA and ID [Was Re: Re: "The ID Divide"]

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 04:39:30 -0700

From: Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law [froomkin () law miami edu]
Sent: Sunday, June 08, 2008 10:41 PM
To: David Farber
Cc: ip
Subject: TSA and ID [Was Re: [IP] Re:     "The ID Divide"]

[For IP, if you wish]

While Brock correctly states the current TSA policy which allows you to
fly without ID, the policy is about to change and it's not so clear that
in the future you will be allowed to fly without ID any more if, like
Gilmore, you say you don't agree with the policy.

See "TSA : TSA Announces Enhancements to Airport ID Requirements to
Increase Safety" at
http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/enhance_id_requirements.shtm

It begins,

"Beginning Saturday, June 21, 2008 passengers that willfully refuse to
provide identification at security checkpoint will be denied access to the
secure area of airports. This change will apply exclusively to individuals
that simply refuse to provide any identification or assist transportation
security officers in ascertaining their identity."

I blog about the legality of this at "TSA Announces Policy of Viewpoint
Discrimination,"
http://www.discourse.net/archives/2008/06/tsa_announces_policy_of_viewpoint_discrimination.html