Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Music industry proposes a piracy surcharge on ISPs

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 03:58:57 -0700

From: Fred von Lohmann [iphone () vonlohmann com]
Sent: Monday, March 17, 2008 10:45 PM
To: Brett Glass
Cc: Fred von Lohmann; David Farber
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:     Music industry proposes a piracy surcharge on ISPs

Brett, thst's the advantage of a voluntary collective licensing
system--no one is forced to offer it to their customers (nor does this
force ISPs to carry P2P traffic-that's a different fight). So I
suspect this is just one more way that ISPs will compete. Verizon has
made it clear that it does not fear P2P traffic, both because they've
got the superior FIOS network and because they can afford new caching
technologies.

Sent from my iPhone