Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Copyright is dead

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 14:04:30 -0700

From: Gerry Faulhaber [gerry-faulhaber () mchsi com]
Sent: Saturday, March 22, 2008 4:45 PM
To: David Farber
Cc: David P. Reed
Subject: Re: [IP] Copyright is dead

[For IP, if you wish]

Hmmm.  Hope I didn't miss the last 25 years while "yearning for a golden age
of...monopoly."  I and most other economists did what we could to help end
that monopoly and contest further government monopolies (cable, etc.).
Economists generally applaud the dismantling of monopolies of all sorts, and
are particularly concerned about government-created ones.

I am quite interested to read that the conduit guys really have no control
at all over content.  Here we have been contending over network
neutrality/open access lo these last two years precisely because the conduit
guys have control over content distribution, and many of us are fearful of
that.  Now that David tells us they have no control, I guess we can quite
worrying about net neutrality, right?  (Fat chance!).

But I think we agree that in a world of digital content that is practically
free to distribute by hundreds of thousands of people, copyright offers no
protection, and models to monetize creative content based on copyright are
essentially doomed.  New business models?  Of course.  I can even think of a
business model that could work for music.  I am less sanguine about video
content, but there are many entrepreneurs cleverer than I who may figure
this out.  From this vantage point, however, it looks like teaming up with
conduit guys is the best (though desperate) play.

Are conduit guys in control?  I am certainly well aware that encryption is a
way to thwart deep packet inspection, so that perhaps the evil conduit guys
don't know that this huge stream of mysterious stuff is really video.  But
do we think these evil conduit guys can't tell that the stream is encrypted?
Do we think that they cannot set the terms of service to prohibit
sending/receiving encrypted streams (exceptions for financial transactions,
etc.)?  Using encryption is not the ultimate trump card against conduit
guys.  It is merely the next step in the game.

Gerry Faulhaber