Interesting People mailing list archives

case law collection

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 03:38:36 -0700

From: Carl Malamud [carl () media org]
Sent: Sunday, March 16, 2008 2:27 AM
To: David Farber
Subject: case law collection

Hi Dave -

For IP if you wish.

A large number of early appellate cases have just been put on-line.
These cases, known as the Federal Reporter, First Series (F1), can be
viewed here:

http://bulk.resource.org/courts.gov/c/F1/

These volumes were contributed by the Law Library Microform Consortium
(LLMC.com), a nonprofit consortium of law libraries founded in 1976 to
preserve the law in digital form.  LLMC's contribution means we now
have substantially complete coverage of appellate law, with about 11%
of the cases still missing.  Previous releases include F2 and F3,
which were purchased from Fastcase, and the early Federal Cases,
donated by the William S. Hein Co.  Substantial additional
contributions of case law have been received from Justia, Inc. and by
a broad-based coalition of commercial and non-commercial organizations
who are harvesting current opinions.

Our goal in this endeavor, dubbed "America's Operating System," is a
complete Internet collection of all U.S. federal cases and codes,
available in bulk for re-use without restriction.

LLMC was founded in 1976 by Jerry Dupont.  It is amazing to me that
Dupont not only foresaw the need but also acted upon it, helping
preserve the legal record of the United States.  LLMC's collection is
truly amazing and their contribution of F1 for bulk distribution means
a lot.

Best regards,

Carl Malamud
Public.Resource.Org