Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Comcast Considering 250GB Cap, Overage Fees

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 11:10:13 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Joel Snyder <Joel.Snyder () Opus1 COM>
Date: May 7, 2008 10:59:21 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>, rs9174 () gmail com
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:  Comcast Considering 250GB Cap, Overage Fees

> 250GB would give you the bandwidth to download how many movies per
> month?  0? 1? 5? 25?

A DVD is either 4-ish or 7-ish Gigabytes (single/double layer), but most movies by themselves will fit in 4 GB; it's the extras that take up all that space. Assuming that it's 250GB and not 250Gb, that'd be around 60 movies a month.

But what's the point of the question? That Comcast might want to sell you a movie downloading service that somehow doesn't count against your quota? Or that this is not enough?

I think this is great. ISPs got into a stupid, stupid situation when they caved to consumer preferences and agreed to deliver unlimited dialup (first) and bandwidth (later) for a price that could not support it. And then, when customers took advantage of *UNLIMITED* bandwidth with tools like Napster and other P2P systems, the ISPs had to work around their own stupidity by doing bandwidth management and throttling---essentially, patching the problem rather than solving the problem.

Fundamentally, the ISPs built their own torture devices by buying a product that is sold by volume ('the bit' and 'the bandwidth') and then reselling it by time ('the month'). If any ISP has the cojones to actually start having their sales prices reflect their costs (rather than cross-subsidizing the folks who need 4 movies a day with my mom who logs on once a week), then I have to say "It's about time."

The number of mom-and-pop ISPs offering broadband service is in steady and constant decline because of the cost model that the large ISPs have imposed on the market. Now that they have a lock and are clearly going to win in the long run, it'd be nice if they stopped being insane about their products and services and pricing and started to replace the niche of the small ISP that they have so successfully eradicated.

jms

--
Joel M Snyder, 1404 East Lind Road, Tucson, AZ, 85719
Senior Partner, Opus One       Phone: +1 520 324 0494