Interesting People mailing list archives

House committee investigation blames Martin for FCC's 'broken process'

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 14:15:34 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Kurt Albershardt <kurt () nv net>
Date: May 1, 2008 1:50:27 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: House committee investigation blames Martin for FCC's 'broken process'

<http://rcrnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080430/FREE/740871533/1005 >
House committee investigation blames Martin for FCC's 'broken process'

Hearings proposed for June

By Jeffrey Silva
Story posted: April 30, 2008 - 2:11 pm EDT

Federal Communications Commission Chairman Kevin Martin's troubles on Capitol Hill could be taking a turn for the worse.

House Commerce Committee investigators have recommended to Chairman John Dingell (D-Mich.) that hearings on FCC management practices be held in June, citing results to date from a probe of the issue that began late last year.

"We have conducted more than 30 interviews with current and former [FCC] employees as well as industry representatives and private citizens. The bottom line is that the [FCC] process appears broken and most of the blame appears to rest with Chairman Martin," stated an April 28 staff memo to Dingell and oversight and investigations subcommittee Chairman Bart Stupak (D-Mich.).

The FCC was not the only the focus of six-page memo, which laid out a proposed schedule for upcoming hearings and provided status reports on investigations in various industry sectors under the full committee's purview.

"We have no comment at this time," said an FCC spokesman.

"No hearings have been scheduled," said a committee spokesman.