Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft warns of IE7 lock-in with XP SP3

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 08:34:22 -0700

From: Tom Fairlie [tfairlie () frontiernet net]
Sent: Saturday, May 10, 2008 10:51 AM
To: Brock N. Meeks; David Farber
Cc: cnull () yahoo com
Subject: Re: [IP] Microsoft warns of IE7 lock-in with XP SP3

I said "forces you into a choice" not an upgrade. However...

...it sounds like you're backing up my point. Let's just put all
of the language about "forces" up on the shelf for a moment
and ask why an update to the Windows operating system
should have any significant impact on the web browser that
you're using, other than improving (or reducing) its overall
performance due to architectural changes. This isn't so much
about a user's particular browser choice or whether they can
or cannot uninstall it. I'm just saying that this practice is bad
from a pure engineering point of view and offensive to a segment
(however small) of the user population.

Tom Fairlie