Interesting People mailing list archives

WORTH READING re-distribution of op-ed on Net Neutrality -- a reaction and a reply from one of the authors

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 13:31:27 -0700

From: David P. Reed [dpreed () reed com]
Sent: Saturday, May 10, 2008 11:50 AM
To: David Farber
Cc: ip
Subject: Re: [IP] re-distribution of op-ed on Net Neutrality   -- a
reaction and a reply from one of the authors

I read through the long comment by Chris Yoo below, and as a non-lawyer
interested in policy, I ask the following simple question:

Is there a well-regarded (one might ask for scientifically reasoned)
argument that antitrust law as currently interpreted and practiced has a
substantial impact measured in some currency like $ on social welfare?

Otherwise this entire argument is about nothing more than vaporware
proceeding from a faith that competition (however loosely defined)
creates social welfare best.   AFAIK, this is largely an article of
faith, just as the "End of History" was a grand article of faith posited
by many of the same people as "truth".

It is just not fair to imply that the core of "today's settled antitrust
law" carries even the level of weight as Darwin's Theory of Evolution.
There have been no replicable studies of its practice.

Law professors and lawyers who don't challenge its truthiness squarely
are merely behaving as dogmatic mandarins always do - asserting
authority of professional status, rather than rigor of reasoning,
experiment, or argument.

I say this not as FOX News or Hillary Clinton would call an elitist, but
as a person who genuinely is unconvinced by magical faith in
authorities.