Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Obama's FCC team & Wired/Wireless

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 16:09:37 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: David Lassner <david () hawaii edu>
Date: November 15, 2008 1:07:54 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>, Brett Glass <brett () lariat net >
Subject: Re: [IP] Obama's FCC team & Wired/Wireless

As a regular reader of IP, I see the pleas from Brett Glass that we take WISPs more seriously. To me, this is a symptom of the problem we face in the U.S. when we lump together two challenges: 1) Getting today's "broadband" (as the FCC had defined it) deployed to more people; and 2) Making U.S. broadband competitive in rate and price with the world's leaders.

I don't know Susan personally, but as a reader of her blog and a brief recent correspondent, I am thrilled at her appointment and her understanding of the long-term challenge of objective #2. That doesn't mean she doesn't also understand #1. But we could easily spend the next 5 years working to get everyone in the U.S. single- digit Mbps services and completely lose sight of the rest of the leading economies of the world.

I agree that pure WISPs, 4G and even 3G can be competitive with many of today's DSL/Cable offerings and shouldn't be discounted by those who are focused on objective #1. But it also seems clear that the deployment of advanced broadband services by world leaders (e.g. KDDI's recent rollout of 1Gbps symmetric consumer service for under US $60/mo) is based on a different approach to public policy and shared infrastructure than our current U.S. non-policy. We need people at the FCC who understand this as well.

On the Hawaii Broadband Task Force we have had representatives of a WISP, the cable company and the ILEC and we have several engineers. In the current working draft of our Recommendations we are using the following language to talk about wired v. wireless:

While some propose wireless as the alternative, the Task Force believes that “wired or wireless?” is the wrong question to ask. Fiber optic cable provides the greatest capability with nearly-unlimited expandability to fixed locations, while wireless provides tremendous advantages in mobility as well as more cost- effective deployment of basic broadband to some rural and remote locations. Most broadband wireless systems rely on wired capabilities for at least some of their backbone connectivity. The Task Force believes the right answer for Hawaii is “wired AND
wireless.”

And we are trying to address both the short-term and long-term challenges by recommending:

The Task Force recognizes that achieving pervasive open-access fiber to every premise will not be fast or easy. Therefore the Task Force recommends that the permanent Authority be established with a singular focus on Hawaii’s broadband vision and have the authority and tools to take both short-term and long-term steps to
improve Hawaii’s capacity and achieve our vision.

david