Interesting People mailing list archives

Caution urged in drawing lessons from: 'Learning from twitter in Mumbai' posting

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 13:49:41 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: paul foldes <pfoldes () eidmgt com>
Date: November 27, 2008 1:16:58 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Caution urged in drawing lessons from: 'Learning from twitter in Mumbai' posting

Dave, For IP if you so choose, happy Xgiving to all, we have much to be thankful for.

While I agree that we can learn from response to Mumbai terrorist attack regarding use of mobile technologies ... I urge public policiy makers not to get too carried away too soon with the glitter of the 'high tech' response-ability of available technologies.

Please dont forget the ultimate users: the tech un-savvy public, and their skeptical (reasonably so) impressions of some of these attempts to use sms for emergency notificaiton.

As a former consumer protection attorney who was at one time responsible for creating notifications that average consumers could understand, and hopefully notice! for important products - I am personally cognizant of the wide gap between assumptions by public policy makers when designing well meaning and useful public notification campaigns - and the ability, desire, willingness of the public to use such good intentioned warnings.

As more than 35% of the adult population is functionally illeterate and as a very large majority of adults using cell phones are not twitter users; but, are barely sms users - one should not jumpt on the bandwagon that sma notifications are a panacea.

Notably, experience with emergency notifications via sms have not all been succesful.

Quite recently in Montgomery County, MD - just outside Washington, DC - there was an emergency.

Unfortunately the sms warning did not go out, because the people in charge of sending out the sms emergency messages were:

1) first responsible person , was on vacation
2) second responsible person, was never trained how to do it

Thus, the average citizen may be a tad skeptical about the reliability of such sms text messages being sent, and received on time.

Remember that on the much ballyhood night when Obama's campaign sent out his long awaited sms message and email regarding his choice of vp - some recipients who signed up to get such message: 1) never got it, 2) got it but the message was delayed by several hours !

The capacity of senders and carriers to deliver sms messages timely is not reliable - based IMHO, based on such public reports, and my personal experience.

I have a digital vm/pbx service, which also services major enterprises (as backup emergency notification system) set to let me know when I have received a vm. Previously they sent notification to my phone via sms, now have switched to sending via email; as does comcast also.

It is not uncommon for me not to get notification for 30 min to several hours after vm having been received by comcast, or my vm/pbx supplier.

Given my experience, and recent publicity about Mongtgomery County's screw up with emergency notification - I would not be putting my faith in effectiveness of Twitter, and other mobile notification systems yet to timely, and reliably notify me in case of an emergency.

Public policy guru's and high tech folks often forget that the average shmo - the average user of technology - is not tech savvy, tech curious, and is not sitting on a high speed broadband connection all the time, or is necessarily on the latest greatest cell phone with all the nifty features, or has the money, or desire to pay for txt message service.

I have been on the 'bleeding edge' of 'high tech' for over 35 years as an early adopter of personal computers, cell phones, etc - and my frustrations caused by the wide gap between promise - and my experience is endless.

paul foldes

Begin forwarded message: