Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Editors note incl. Dangerous Precedence Set - Federal Criminal Charges for Violation of Commercial Online ToS?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 14:45:14 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Gabe Goldberg <gabe () gabegold com>
Date: November 29, 2008 1:14:01 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Editors note incl. Dangerous Precedence Set - Federal Criminal Charges for Violation of Commercial Online ToS?

After a friend forwarded a Doonsbury cartoon to me I intended to subscribe to the strip's daily mailing. But I was put off by the several hundred-line Terms of Service agreement, which include:

You agree to indemnify and hold uclick, its parent company, affiliates, officers, agents, partners and employees harmless from any claim or demand, including reasonable attorneys fees, arising out of your content and materials, your use of the Site, your violation of these Terms or your violation of any third party's rights including such party's copyrights and trademarks.

and

uclick respects your right to privacy and understands that visitors to uclick need to be in control of their personal information. To that end uclick has developed a Privacy Policy, and you should review it carefully. Your use of the Site is your consent to the Privacy Policy.

where the latter paragraph links to an equally long and arcane privacy policy. All this, just to read a comic strip -- not to buy a house or access state secrets! So I didn't register, and used the Contact Us link to tell them why. But I'm sure that most people blithely register and click the "Yeah, yeah, whatever" (I mean, "I agree to the Terms of Service") link without blinking.

Are loony nebulous mumbo-jumbo agreements like that actually binding? Or just legal folly? Who knows.
Dave Wilson said:

The idea that I am contractually obligated to do *anything* by some legally nebulous mumbo-jumbo based on a click through license agreement should be terrifying to people. Maybe after this, people will wake up. In a Democratic society, laws should govern our behavior, not unalterable contracts forced upon us by people who answer to no one.
--

Gabriel Goldberg, Computers and Publishing, Inc.          (703) 204-0433
3401 Silver Maple Place, Falls Church, VA 22042        gabe () gabegold com