Interesting People mailing list archives

Srizbi Botnet Re-Emerges Despite Security Firm's Efforts

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 08:25:09 -0500

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/

In the fallout resulting from knocking McColo Corp. offline, this past week may prove to be a missed opportunity in the prevention of a dramatic reappearance of junk e-mail, as a botnet that once controlled 40 percent of the world's spam apparently has found a new home.

The botnet Srizbi was knocked offline Nov. 11 along with Web-hosting firm McColo, which Internet security experts say hosted machines that controlled the flow of 75 percent of the world's spam. One security firm, FireEye, thought it had found a way to prevent the botnet from coming back online by registering domain names it thought Srizbi was likely to target. But when that approach became too costly for the firm, they had to abandon their efforts.

"This cost us a lot of money. We engaged all the right people. In the end, it comes back to the fact that there wasn't a process in place to do what we were trying to do," said Alex Lanstein, senior researcher at FireEye. "The day after we stopped registering the domains, the bad guys started picking them up."

According to FireEye, Srizbi was the only botnet operating through McColo that had a backup plan in case their master control servers were ever unplugged: The malware contained a mathematical algorithm that generates a random but unique Web site domain name that the bots would be instructed to check for new instructions and software updates from its authors.

snip