Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Another youtube-ish BGP problem threatens the global routing tables

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 04:26:59 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rod Van Meter <rdv () sfc wide ad jp>
Date: November 11, 2008 8:50:41 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Another youtube-ish BGP problem threatens the global routing tables

Dave,

I forwarded this email to a general WIDE Project-related mailing list,
where many of our operations-oriented folks hang out.  I got back
several responses informing me that the problem

a) was real, but
b) had been dealt with in a timely fashion, and long over by then, and
c) was a long-known vulnerability (as noted in the original article).

A short explanation of the timeline of the incident is available at
http://bgpmon.net/blog/?p=80

So, not to say that it was over-blown, but in this case, at least, the
Internet's (human- and machine-based) immune system appears to have
worked properly, and the impact was modest.

...which still leaves the larger technical issue unsolved, but that's
well outside the scope of my expertise.

Regards,

                --Rod