Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Comcast Mail Blocking Issues Related to DynDNS

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 07:33:23 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Livingood, Jason" <Jason_Livingood () cable comcast com>
Date: October 14, 2008 10:02:53 PM EDT
To: "Barry Gold" <bgold () matrix-consultants com>, "NNSquad" <nnsquad () nnsquad org >
Subject: [ NNSquad ] Re: Comcast Mail Blocking Issues Related to DynDNS

Conflicts as to what is considered spam are indeed quite common as Barry points out. I disagree with another poster that there's a lack of transparency here, based on much of the information disclosed at http://postmaster.comcast.net , the fact that senders like DynDNS can and do signup for a mail Feedback Loop to see why messages are being rejected, that we regularly meet face-to-face with large senders to discuss deliverability at forums such as the Messaging Anti-Abuse Working Group (http://www.maawg.org), etc.

Also, we often hear of situations where a user might configure a forwarding service to mark email as spam / forward all spam, but on our system they do not have a spam folder setup, meaning they want us to block / drop the spam. So we do what the user tells our system to do in these cases, but a forwarding service is upset that we didn't accept the mail since the user did not configure their forwarding system similarly. These can become complicated situations, which is why we make an effort to work closely with senders and why the email industry as a whole continues to examine standards-based approaches to better securing email, and preventing spamming and phishing.

Regards
Jason Livingood
Comcast