Interesting People mailing list archives

Agenda for Internet Issues Discussion on National Radio Sunday Night

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 18:13:45 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: October 15, 2008 6:12:17 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: lauren () vortex com
Subject: Agenda for Internet Issues Discussion on National Radio Sunday Night

Agenda for Internet Issues Discussion on National Radio Sunday Night

              http://lauren.vortex.com/archive/000443.html

Greetings.  This coming Sunday night (10/19), from 11 PM PDT to 2 AM
PDT Monday morning (yep, three hours) I'll be discussing a wide
range of Internet-related topics as the guest on the nationally
(actually internationally available) syndicated "Coast to Coast AM"
(C2C) radio show ( http://www.coasttocoastam.com ).  While I've been
on the show numerous times before, I don't usually have much notice
in advance or a wide open agenda, so this time I have the
opportunity to ask for your assistance beforehand.

C2C is an interesting creature indeed.  Originated by Art Bell many
years ago, it's now mostly hosted by George Noory.  It's the
500-pound gorilla of late night radio, on over 500 stations plus
satellite radio and Internet, with millions of nightly listeners.

While widely known for its focus on UFOs, the paranormal, and other
"far out" topics, it also features mainstream guests (I assume that
I fall into this category) discussing more "conventional" topics
(Wired: "Coast to Coast is No Wack Job"
- http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2006/02/70218 ).

I've found the show to be a great forum for discussing technology
topics where I'm not just "preaching to the choir" -- and some of
the best questions I've ever been asked about these topics have been
from C2C listeners (OK, I've gotten some pretty odd questions too,
but that's part of the package).

Since I do have a number of days warning this time, and a pretty
much open agenda within the general topic area of the Internet, I'd
like to solicit your ideas for specific issues that you'd be
interested in having discussed on air if possible.  Net neutrality,
privacy, censorship, control, security, "future of the Internet" --
or whatever.  This isn't a hardcore technical show, so I'm not going
to be getting into Ethernet wiring or protocol discussions, but with
so many issues of concern these days that are Internet related, this
is an opportunity to get some of these matters in front of a very
large audience, many members of which likely don't read our
technical blogs and mailing lists!

Please let me know your ideas, ideally as soon as possible.
Feel free to tune in Sunday night if you can
( http://www.coasttocoastam.com/info/wheretolisten.html ).

Thanks.  Be seeing you.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () vortex com or lauren () pfir org
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR
  - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, NNSquad
  - Network Neutrality Squad - http://www.nnsquad.org
Founder, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com