Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Comcast blocking mail to its customers

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 04:18:51 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Gordon Peterson <gep2 () terabites com>
Date: October 16, 2008 1:02:57 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:       Comcast blocking mail to its customers

David Farber wrote:
Begin forwarded message:
From: Tilghman Lesher <tilghman () mail jeffandtilghman com>
Date: October 15, 2008 7:32:17 PM EDT
To: johnl () iecc com
Cc: dave () farber net
Begin forwarded message:

From: John Levine <johnl () iecc com>
Date: October 15, 2008 3:12:36 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net

My view is that an appropriate AUP for email should be similar to
that of a common carrier or the USPS.  It's a critical service these
days.  Using robotic methods or wholesale IP shutoffs to dump
presumptive spam into the trash is not acceptable for such a
service.

The mail stream that ISPs see is typically 95% spam these days.  That
means 20 spams for every real message, so if they were to accept and
store all the spam, that's more than an order of magnitude increase in
the size and cost of their mail system, which would be passed through
to the customers, most of whom don't want it.

While it's certainly true that we don't want spam in our inboxes, the argument collapses since the mail system tends to be such a small percentage of the total ISP bandwidth, compared to Web (and torrent, video, etc) consumption. Likewise, disk storage has gotten cheap enough that E-mail just doesn't take much, as a percentage of what the user generally pays per month.

>> ...And even if they did,
how much confidence do you have that you could manually sort it
correctly?  I've seen plausible studies that say that mechanical
filters are if anything better than humans at sorting large mail
streams, since mechanical filters' eyes don't glaze over.

First of all, the DEFINITIVE definition of what a given recipient considers to be spam is the RECIPIENT, and not the recipient's ISP (nor some other ISP upstream).

I think you missed the part which I consider to be most important, that of
dumping presumptive spam into the trash.  The most correct method of
filtering is to do it at SMTP time and reject the email then, rather than
trying to either a) accept all email and bounce the stuff that is
undeliverable (this is arguably what is most wrong with some MTAs, such as qmail, as it causes the secondary problem of backscatter) or b) accepting all email and tossing the stuff that a mechanical filter thinks is spam (which means that a sender may never be notified that their message was
falsely flagged as spam).

Filtering at SMTP time as you are discussing is only truly viable (as for the benefits you're claiming) in cases where no forwarding is taking place. Otherwise, an SMTP reject only is immediately available to the one-hop-upstream relay, and if forwarding is taking place, the original sender is perhaps already long gone.

I will also point out that sending back a "bounce" message for spam is a TERRIBLE approach, for a whole variety of reasons:

  1)  it results in multiplying the bandwidth wasted by the spam;

2) If mail headers are forged, as spammers often do, it is practically impossible to determine who the real original sender of the message was.

3) That fact means that spammers could (and do) send OBVIOUS spam to users at ISPs who bounce the spam back... and forge the return address and Received: headers such that the bounce goes back to the spammer-intended recipient... the spammer bounces the spam off the rejecting ISP, using it as an unwitting (and less likely to be blacklisted) relay.

4) Yahoo, in particular, is very bad about turning off mail delivery when it sees a "hard bounce" implicating that e-mail address... even when the "hard bounce" is bogus and comes from a stupid anti-spam filter dealing with a message with forged headers.

As inelegant as it admittedly is, the best way to deal with spam is probably just to "black hole" it.

Rejecting at SMTP time guarantees that minimal backscatter bounces are
generated

Bounces are NOT a good idea, for reasons including those mentioned above.

...and when an email is rejected as a false positive, the sender has
immediate feedback of the problem and can work to address the issue.

Ultimately, the only person who can TRULY decide if mail is spam or not, by THEIR definition, is the RECIPIENT. The best solution is to take questionable cases and to at least ALLOW the recipient to make the final call.... and to decide whether they want to get back to the sender and advise them of a delivery problem. This can eliminate the "false positive" bounce issue.

It is really no more computationally expensive than current operations (which have to scan all email anyway, so they might as well do it at SMTP time).

That's not really true, since doing it at SMTP time means that you have to identify and deal with spam in real time. Not only does that increase SMTP latency, but (more critically) it prevents approaches which recognize spam floods only after a large portion of the flood has already arrived and "passed" preliminary processing. It can provide better identification and handling if one can catch spam somewhat later in the process, after the characteristics of the spam flood are by then better understood.

> ...In
the case of a flood of email causing problems with scanning (the prime
argument against scanning at SMTP time, that it does not scale), that is easily addressed within the mail protocol, simply by sending a 400- level error, indicating a temporary issue, which good MTAs use as an indication to
try the delivery again later.

That doesn't really change the problem very much. You are still complicating the mail transfer process, and adding to the percentage of the mail system loading that must be done in real time.

Oddly, a 400-level error stops many spam bots
in their tracks, which will never reattempt delivery of the same message upon receiving the first error.

Such a strategy is not durable, because spammers can and do change their algorithms based on the way recipients handle the spam. There is little point in implementing convoluted approaches which the spammers can evade more easily and faster than it is to construct the defenses.

One simple and remarkably effective first-stage rule is to allow the recipients to simply declare that BY DEFAULT they wish to block mail from recipient-untrusted (or unfamiliar) senders if the message:

1) contains HTML (key to all manner of evasion of antispam filtering);

2) contains any attachments (likewise, and key to most viruses and worms arriving by E-mail... just today alone I received two spam messages with apparently hostile attachments);

  3)  is bigger than a specified size.

I believe that recipients should be able to establish a fine-grained "permissions list" of people who they accept mail from, and what TYPES of mail they expect to see from that sender (for example, I'm not going to accept executable attachments from most folks, although if my dear old Aunt Gertie wants to send me a picture of her poodle Fifi, that's probably safe).

Establishing such a default rule for previously unfamiliar/untrusted senders means that senders would need to negotiate in advance with recipients (and using small plain text messages) if they want to send HTML mail or attachments (or large messages, for that matter). Of course, that's only just courteous behavior anyhow... although it would be nice to have that practically become A REQUIREMENT, by convention.

This default rule by itself would virtually eliminate E-mail as a transmission vector for viruses and worms... so it helps with a lot more than only just the spam problem!

--

Gordon Peterson II
http://personal.terabites.com