Interesting People mailing list archives

Amos Joel--a personal recollection

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 17:52:38 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Stephen Unger <unger () cs columbia edu>
Date: October 31, 2008 3:59:14 PM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Amos Joel--a personal recollection

Dave,

Here is an item to consider for ip.

Steve

Over fifty years ago, at Bell Labs in West Street and then at
Whippany, I had the good fortune to make the acquaintance of Amos
Joel. Much has been said since his recent demise about his technical
prowess. His ability to understand and devise complex systems was
unparalleled. Amos Joel was a truly great engineer.

But here I would like to add a bit about the kind of a man he
was. Amos was always a pleasure to be with. He was easy going, fun
loving, friendly, and radiated good will. And his good nature was not
superficial. For example, in stressful work situations, Amos did not,
as did some managers, make unreasonable demands on subordinates to
meet deadlines.

Some years after he retired from Bell Labs to become a consultant, I
had occasion to phone Amos at his office. His secretary's response to
my request to talk to him neatly captures how Amos was regarded by his
associates. She said, "That dear man is away on a short trip".

Steve

Stephen H. Unger
Professor Emeritus
Computer Science and Electrical Engineering
Columbia University