Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Google Phone "Heavy" Data Users May be Throttled

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2008 12:28:27 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Joel M Snyder <Joel.Snyder () Opus1 COM>
Date: October 4, 2008 11:33:33 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:   Google Phone "Heavy" Data Users May be Throttled

Well, everyone's use of their iPhone is personal to them, but I find it hard to imagine how one would use 1Gb of data on the thing. My usage has ranged from 40Mb/month to 85Mb/month and I consider myself a very heavy user when traveling, which I do all the time. I suppose I could non-stop stream videos even when I'm not watching them, but the combination of mediocre battery life in the iPhone and a limit on how much data I can consume through its small display seems to make 1Gb a limit that I would have a difficult time reaching.

As with the cable modem 'caps' being discussed, this sounds like one of those 1/100th of 1% issues. Since I'd rather NOT be subsidizing Shapiro's usage, I cannot object to me paying $30 for my up-to-1Gb of data and having him pay more. (Note: I'm just saying "Shapiro" here as an example; I don't know him other than "a guy who wrote into IP complaining about the 1Gb throttle.")

Yes, we have been promised unlimited usage and no time limits on our Internet since the hyper-competitive dial-in market was created, but it is clear to anyone who studies the industry that there is a marginal cost for bandwidth. Anyone who doubts that is welcome to examine the invoices from our upstream ISP.

Arguments I've heard regarding cable modem usage about congestion being the real issue are accurate. It's actually not congestion; it's peak usage, whether that causes congestion or not, because somewhere it's all being aggregated up where congestion does occur; but the argument is approximately close enough to reality that I can agree with it.

HOWEVER, iPhone usage does tend to require a person sitting in front of the phone for any significant bandwidth usage. Would it be even MORE fair to have a special "Insomniac's Data Plan" to cover that 1% of the 1/100 of 1% of high bandwidth users who use up their bits when no one else is awake? Yes, probably, but it would be cheaper for those 9 people to rant and rave about how unfair it is than to have 9 million iPhone users [I made this number up] pay the price for time- based bandwidth accounting.

jms

Begin forwarded message: