Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: The Internet and Acceptable Use Policies

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 10:30:53 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dan Lynch <dan () lynch com>
Date: September 7, 2008 9:08:28 PM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>, <lauren () vortex com>
Subject: Re: [IP] The Internet and Acceptable Use Policies

What a hoot! "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman" was an evening Soap Opera show in the late 70s that got a large following and one of my computer operators at SRI, Geoff Goodfellow, was a fan of it and set up an email discussion list for people to comment on it. It did take off as Lauren notes, and caused a stir for a while. I remember talking with Bob Kahn at ARPA then about it and wondering when the hammer might be brought down on it and he said NO, that it was pushing the envelope of network resources in many dimensions and
was doing network development a huge favor by the load it provided!

Dan