Interesting People mailing list archives

Google is buying Twitter?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 05:58:55 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: No-Name <labmanager () gmail com>
Date: April 3, 2009 1:16:39 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Google is buying Twitter?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/03/AR2009040304363.html

Sources: Google In Late Stage Talks To Acquire Twitter (Updated)

Thursday, April 2, 2009; 7:49 PM

Here's a heck of a rumor that we've sourced from two separate people close to the negotiations: Google is in late stage negotiations to acquire Twitter. We don't know the price but can assume its well, well north of the $250 million valuation that they saw in their recent funding.

Twitter turned down an offer to be bought by Facebook just a few months ago for half a billion dollars, although that was based partially on overvalued Facebook stock. Google would be paying in cash and/or publicly valued stock, which is equivalent to cash. So whatever the final acquisition value might be, it can't be compared apples-to- apples with the Facebook deal.