Interesting People mailing list archives

READ The Smart Grid and Cybersecurity

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 20:10:15 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Peter Swire <peter () peterswire net>
Date: April 15, 2009 8:02:40 PM EDT
To: "dave () farber net" <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re:  The Smart Grid and Cybersecurity

Dear Dave:

For IP, if you wish.

After receiving detailed comments from a number of people, both on- list and off, I have made some changes to my cybersecurity and electricity grid post. My thanks to comments, among others, from David Wagner, Fred Schneider, and Thomas Lord.

(1) My previous version said that larger bandwidth allows higher- quality encryption. I now believe this is incorrect. As Fred Schneider wrote: “Bandwidth and strength of encryption are not correlated. Key length and encryption-strength are correlated, but the bandwidth required for distributing longer keys would be quite small (ie in the noise) so this is not an issue.”

(2) My previous version said that larger bandwidth supports a more effective intrusion detection system. The computer scientist comments I received disputed this claim. I had reasons for thinking this claim was logical, but I do not have evidence for the claim and withdraw it.

The main focus of my writing on the topic has been to encourage the different agencies involved in stimulus funding to work together, to meet multiple goals with the same funds, including upgrades in cybersecurity. Your list has generated really useful comments, including the Enron-era statistics on the savings from building fiber together with electricity lines. People involved in implementing the stimulus have received the comments. I thought I had vetted my posts carefully enough in advance, but I thank your readers for these corrections.

Peter

Prof. Peter P. Swire
C. William O'Neill Professor of Law
Moritz College of Law of the Ohio State University
Senior Fellow, Center for American Progress
(240) 994.4142, www.peterswire.net