Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Can Hi-tech Hitchhiking Work? * 4:15PM, Wed April 22, 2009 in Gates B01

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 17:24:39 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Richard Pauli <rpauli () mail speakeasy net>
Date: April 19, 2009 12:47:45 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Can Hi-tech Hitchhiking Work? * 4:15PM, Wed April 22, 2009 in Gates B01

In a perfect tech world one should be able to stand along the road (in the rain, at night) and open a cell phone screen to potential drivers going that way. Drivers and riders would connect, validate and locate in a reasonable computation time - minutes at most.

The obstacles are not so much technical - as political - because a trusted agent should validate the identity of the users - like a drivers license by the state.. There are lots of startups for ridesharing and dynamic ridesharing using wireless devices - but they require a critical mass to start well, or if small they require a trust relationship to validate members. And worse, rideshare services are so proprietary that one must join many to get decent coverage.... they really should be open data exchange of some sort. You might check http://dynamicridesharing.org http://ithumb.org/ wifitoday.html http://ithumb.org/derivativ.html

There is a growing need, it is just a matter of putting things together smartly. It will happen, we should not waste too much time learning lessons over again. Govts could give tax incentives to drivers who provide rides. Too many good ideas.

Richard Pauli
ithumb.org

Begin forwarded message: