Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: MIT monitoring campus network traffic

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 09:59:43 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Mark I. Berman" <Mark.Berman () mcla edu>
Date: April 21, 2009 9:49:46 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: MIT monitoring campus network traffic

Dave et al.,

It sounds to me like MIT is doing the normally responsible things to keep a network running. I supposed you could argue about the lack of a specific
policy, but I think a good reading of other extant policies at MIT would
show that what they are doing is already covered by more general policies.
Personally I'm a believer in policies that are short and broad. I find
Professor Abelson's statement that he "found it troubling that these logs
were being collected without public knowledge" to be bit disingenuous.
Surely he knows that pretty much ALL network activity is logged somewhere,
if only (and usually only) to aid in debugging problems. In my opinion
there are plenty of places to be legitimately concerned about information
privacy without worrying about a college's well intentioned efforts to
maintain a functional network. How about the fact that when I wrote my
check to the state of Massachusetts to pay my taxes, they required me to
put my social security number on the memo line!

- Mark
--
Mark Berman, Chief Information Officer
MCLA - Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts

Please respect the environment and do not print this message