Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Twitter over capacity

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 08:17:48 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lee Revell <rlrevell () joe-job com>
Date: April 24, 2009 3:39:12 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>, drallison () gmail com, ip () sanction net, kenneth_mayer () dell com
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Twitter over capacity

Of course it can be done.  But that kind of high availability doesn't
come cheap.  The designers of Twitter couldn't have known at the time
that their system would quickly become so important to so many.  I
think that for a tech startup with an unproven product, to engineer to
that kind of SLA from day one would probably not be considered a wise
use of capital by most investors.

And in my experience at least, cutting over from that initial system
to the shiny new highly-available one is really, really hard to do
with no downtime.

Lee