Interesting People mailing list archives

Traffic Pumping

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 09:36:28 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Savage, Christopher" <ChrisSavage () DWT COM>
Date: November 30, 2009 10:27:21 AM EST
To: CYBERTELECOM-L () LISTSERV AOL COM
Subject: Re: Traffic Pumping

This is one of the fundamental problems with regulating prices. Prices
send signals to profit-motivated players.  If regulators allow me to
charge [x] for some activity and my cost to do it is [x-k] the only
rational business response is to do everything I can to encourage the
activity to occur.

It follows that any activity on the part of a regulated company to
encourage an activity for which there is a regulated rate, is
near-conclusive evidence that the rate is too high.

Back in the day, we at Bell Atlantic solved this problem for intrastate
access fees in a simple way.  It would work as follows:

1. The RLEC has to state its costs of providing access service. Let's
say it is $1,000,000.

2.  Look at last year's access business for the RLEC.  Let's say that
40% of the minutes came from AT&T, 40% from Verizon, 8% from Sprint, and 2% from everybody else. Then AT&T and Verizon each cut the RLEC a check for $400,000, Sprint coughs up $80,000, and everyone else comes up with
$20,000.

In other words, the number of (today) chargeable access minutes don't
get charged on a per-minute basis; instead they simply are counters to
determine what proportion of the RLEC's cost each user of access
services has to pay.

Any reason why this wouldn't work to end traffic pumping?

Chris S.