Interesting People mailing list archives

[BarryDGold () ca rr com: Re: AT&T Asks FCC to Kill Conventional (POTS) Phone Service]

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 18:28:25 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: December 30, 2009 5:10:51 PM EST
To: nnsquad () nnsquad org
Subject: [ NNSquad ] [BarryDGold () ca rr com: Re: AT&T Asks FCC to Kill Conventional (POTS) Phone Service]

----- Forwarded message from Barry Gold <BarryDGold () ca rr com> -----

Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 12:41:25 -0800
From: Barry Gold <BarryDGold () ca rr com>
Subject: Re: [ NNSquad ] AT&T Asks FCC to Kill Conventional (POTS) Phone
   Service

Lauren Weinstein wrote:
AT&T Asks FCC to Kill Conventional (POTS) Phone Service

http://bit.ly/6HP5r3  (GigaOM)

I would oppose such a move. Although I am reasonably Internet-savvy and have broadband (and three desktops) in my home, I also have two POTS land lines. Well, not _quite_ POTS: one of them has voicemail. But that's the
only extra service we have, and I'm thinking of dropping that.  I'm
retired, so I don't need to get messages from potential employers. And my
parents and in-laws are dead, so I don't need to worry about getting
messages about their health.

Simply stated: if there is a power outage, the landline phone is supposed
to have backup power for 48 hours.  If I were relying on TW's phone
service, loss of power to the house would also mean loss of phone service. And if I were using a cell phone, I would expect the cell towers to fail
within 1-2 hours at most.

----- End forwarded message -----

 [ There are a bunch of issues here.  Availability of phone service
   in emergency situations is a *big* one.  As we've seen, cellular
   service is among the first telecom asset to fail during power
   failures when microcell batteries run out and other associated
   infrastructure fails (this is apart from its very limited
   simultaneous call capacity vis-a-vis conventional landlines in
   most areas).

   Similarly, emergency VoIP use is dependent on every key aspect of
   complex IP networks working properly in the face of power or other
   failures.  So even if we mandated battery backup for the phones,
   routers (local and remote) and so on involved, we'd also be
   dependent on those batteries actually working when needed (you've
   probably learned the hard way how often this isn't the case and
   how quickly rechargeable batteries can go bad).  The reason that
   conventional copper POTS has been so reliable in emergencies is
   that traditionally it has been powered by massive arrays of
   batteries in central offices (CO battery rooms are *most
   impressive* to see.)

   Typical cable system topologies may also be more vulnerable to
   widespread failures than conventional copper loop POTS
   infrastructures.  During an extended (several hours) local power
   failure here a couple of years ago, I saw a guy in a pickup truck
   hook up jumper cables to a nearby pole-mounted cable distribution
   panel.  When I questioned him, he told me he was with the cable
   company and was trying to keep the cable up for phone
   service by revving his engine!  I found this both amusing and
   horrifying at the same time.

   There are also *colossal* regulatory (federal vs. state, privacy,
   security, etc.) issues associated with such a transition from
   conventional POTS, that may make our current crop of net
   neutrality controversies seem to pale in comparison.  More on this
   later.

      -- Lauren Weinstein
         NNSquad Moderator ]