Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Van Jacobson interview on content nets

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 20:23:42 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ted Nelson <tandm () xanadu net>
Date: February 23, 2009 5:39:45 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: Both of us <tandm () xanadu net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Van Jacobson interview on content nets

This 'Queue' page represents the extreme of unreadability.
 The people who create it have no conception that over-40
 readers need larger print.  There's no way to expand this
 no way to read it except on a huge screen, no way to copy
 out the content.

Having extreme presbyopia (myopia), there is actually no
 way I can read this page.  My strongest glasses plus my
 biggest screen won't handle it.

This represents the extreme of the Web ethic that readability
 doesn't matter, tiny print in faint colors that can't be expanded
 is PRETTIER and thus the hell with the reader.

(I'm guilty, I know-- my book *Computer Lib* made the same
 mistake in 1974-- but it's very, very wrong.)

Ted