Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Three on Request for IP policy change

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 10:30:31 -0500

I encourage people to provide long urls. I have had a lot of problems with short ones. I clearly will NOT require it but encourage it djf

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: January 19, 2009 9:45:22 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Request for IP policy change

I find these URL-shortening services problematic in many ways, thus I don't use them when I post, and (while it probably doesn't matter) I refuse to click through them as well.

As to whether you should have (or enforce) a policy, Dave, I'm neutral. I will continue to privately recommend that people choose not to use them, and continue to not click through them. I'd be happy if the users were made more widely aware of the costs they impose on others.

In my opinion they heighten what is a generally a very mild security/ privacy risk, and I do feel like having them imposed on me by others is a teeny bit rude, though I can understand the desire to make readers have a more convenient experience. Like "tracking cookies" and cross-site-scripting attacks, they tend to cause malfunctions and serve surveillance purposes.

Begin forwarded message: