Interesting People mailing list archives

$Multi-billion Broadband stimulus decisions imminent

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 16:46:25 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: dewayne () warpspeed com (Dewayne Hendricks)
Date: January 22, 2009 10:45:15 AM EST
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <xyzzy () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] Re: $Multi-billion Broadband stimulus decisions imminent

[Note:  This comment comes from friend David Reed.  DLH]

Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 08:14:58 -0500
To: dewayne-net () warpspeed com
From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>

Lee McKnight is correct.  I've been beating this drum everywhere, and
all I got for my touble was being trashed by Bob Pepper in another forum
for pointing out that the new FCC chair is not technically knowledgeable
to any relevant extent.  But he was an investor and manager in high tech
- so he must have a meta understanding that requires no input from
others of such issues as "RF beachfront property" and the technical
efficiencies that require natural monopolies to exist (what technical
efficiencies are we talking about?)

In other words, our policymakers are educated about technology by the
needs of investors and lobbyists.

Regarding the likelihood that technical experts can get elected, note
well the names that are assigned to technical experts who are on the
brink of getting power positions: propellerhead, geek, nerd, ...  Since
no technical expert I have ever met has ever worn a beanie with a
propeller on it, I think the labels are not the fault of the wearer.  My
own view is that it results from fear or maybe envy.

I can live with this.  But don't blame the technical experts for their
failure to be in positions of power, where they can provide sound habits
of mind based on rational analysis.
RSS Feed: <http://www.warpspeed.com/wordpress>