Interesting People mailing list archives

Ensuring Effective Broadband Stimulus -- Analysis of Draft Economic Stimulus Legislation

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 17:43:51 -0500

I have not read it yet djf

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat net>
Date: January 26, 2009 5:04:38 PM EST
To: dave () farber net, "Ip ip" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Ensuring Effective Broadband Stimulus -- Analysis of Draft Economic Stimulus Legislation

Dave:

For IP, if you will.

The white paper at

http://www.brettglass.com/bbstim.pdf

contains a comprehensive analysis of the broadband-related provisions of the "American Recovery and Investment Act of 2009" -- the new "stimulus" bill. Please copy freely and circulate widely. The provisions of the stimulus bill are vital not only to economic recovery but to the future of broadband in the US. If the stimulus is "done right," we'll see a surge in broadband availability and related economic activity. If not, the US will remain behind the curve and the resources devoted to the program will be wasted. The document contains numerous Oxford-style footnotes with links to key source material, including the draft legislation.

I am available to discuss these ideas and recommendations by phone or e-mail, or (time permitting) to elaborate on them at conferences and symposia where this and related topics are being discussed.

--Brett Glass, LARIAT

P.S. -- Those who have received earlier versions of the document via e- mail should instead use and distribute the one at the link above, in which several typographical errors from previous versions have been corrected.