Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Change in Washington

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 13:25:50 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ed Gerck <egerck () nma com>
Date: January 15, 2009 12:39:23 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Change in Washington

Dear  Ip'ers:

Obamas's team 'the Citizen's Briefing Book' is a good initiative with predictable bad results. It does not follow the usual procedures of scientific polling or even voting.

For example, one must prevent vote inducement by a misleading statement that may seem believable or claim authoritative sourcing. No one in the administration of 'the Citizen's Briefing Book' verified that the statement "The fact is that Marijuana is much less harmful to our bodies than other Legal Drugs such as Tobacco and Alcohol." is actually false according to medical facts well-known to many.

The worst problem, however, and one that denies its usefulness, is basic to polling security. 'The Citizen's Briefing Book' is open to activism, as the participants are not randomly chosen from a representative society ensemble, but are drawn in by activism. This is exemplified and proven by the fact that among so many real opportunities facing our society, not to mention problems, the top issue is not of national interest by any serious measure.

Yes, we need change. But, as Mr. Obama said so often, change that we can believe in -- 'the Citizen's Briefing Book' is not believable and is amateurish.

Best regards,
Ed Gerck

--
<www.gerck.com>