Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Our world may be a giant hologram -- scientifically inclined friends. I give up. What's goin' on here? DIGITAL!

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 15:24:25 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bob Frankston" <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: January 17, 2009 1:12:35 PM EST
To: <dave () farber net>, "'ip'" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Cc: <bobr () bobrosenberg phoenix az us>
Subject: RE: [IP] Our world may be a giant hologram -- scientifically inclined friends. I give up. What's goin' on here? DIGITAL!

Duh? Of course -- why is this a surprise? Where would infinite precision come from? Why would physicists expect that continuous functions explain it all. Robert Laughlin’s A Different Universe anticipates some of this.

(Do you have a URL for the original – my comments here are based on the basic idea but I’d like to know more about what lead Hogan to discover reality LJ)

This is exactly what should be the case as I argue that evolution is a digital process (digital as a measure not just 1 vs 0) with DNA being a special case that we make a big deal about.

If you look at a book like Leonard Mlodinow’s The Drunkard’s Walk or the old systems dynamics models (as in Club of Rome from the 70’s) they all become brown mush after a few iterations. Only “digital” can be sustained because the can capture the nuance of what works and slough off failed niches. This operates at scale and in various dimensions. We have minerals, bodies, organs, cells, and DNA because, well, what’s the alternative? And if we have one big eco-niche as we now do in finance then the mechanism of sloughing it off is decidedly problematic.

If I weren’t diverted by the immediate problem shifting from analog telecom to digital connectivity I’d work on what I started in http://frankston.com/?name=ESF . It’s just another face of the same thing as I discovered following up from http://frankston.com/?name=BeyondComputing.