Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Apple

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 16:37:55 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dan Gillmor <dan () gillmor com>
Date: July 29, 2009 4:13:45 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Digest 1.2129 for ip

I am beginning to think Apple is joining the evil empire. I think
that is going to be bad for them in the future. One trip and they
could find their loyalists moving elsewhere.

Wait until they do their much-rumored new tablet. This will be a big test of how evil they plan to be. Will it use the iPhone OS or something like it, and officially only allow apps from the Apple store? Or will it run the regular MacOS that still includes user choice? The company's trajectory and recent history don't give me much comfort.

One of the phones I use is a first-generation iPhone, which works fine with T-Mobile (though its coverage is certainly not any better than AT&T's where I use it), and have several jailbreak-required apps including GV, the third-party Google Voice app that Apple rejected, apparently because of their deal with AT&T.

But even though the iPhone software is clearly the class of the industry, and the device has become my favorite way to watch videos and listen to music when traveling, I can't abide Apple's attitude and behavior. So I'm moving toward Android (with Symbian still a possibility), which, while not nearly as slick, is improving at a dramatic rate. I still have an older iPod Touch, which is more than good enough for the entertainment stuff.