Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: A provokative pov -- screening gets slammed by federal judge

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 20:14:36 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Mark Blacknell <mb () blacknell net>
Date: July 8, 2009 7:51:35 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>, <rob () casasiegel com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: A provokative pov -- screening gets slammed by federal judge

I bet we could find lots more drugs and prostitutes and fake passports if we just conducted regular and random searches of cars as they crossed county
lines.  Would you still be psyched about it then, Rob?

TSA's incredibly invasive powers were granted, in large part, to face the Scary Terrorists That Will Be the Downfall of America. And since few are willing to risk being cast as on the side of Scary Terrorists That Will Be the Downfall of America, these powers are subject to few checks. And after they're granted, it usually turns out that - shocker - they're used for many things well beyond catching the Scary Terrorists. Things that we'd never put up with, if we'd been told that they would have been used for regular old law enforcement. Kinda how that whole wiretapping thing worked out, no?