Interesting People mailing list archives

$12 million !!!! A comment by Esther Dyson -- Icann Hires Former Cybersecurity Chief as New C.E.O. [with comments]

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 09:54:34 -0400

Second djf

Begin forwarded message:

From: patrick thibodeau <smoke_dc () yahoo com>
Date: July 2, 2009 9:34:37 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: A comment by Esther Dyson -- Icann Hires Former Cybersecurity Chief as New C.E.O. [with comments]

ICANN has turned into a Club Med for Geeks. It has budgeted over $12 million in the next FY for travel (a slight reduction in deference to the economy) so it can continue holding its meetings in far flung places, San Juan, Sao Paulo, Marrakech, and Wellington, to name a few.

This unrelenting travel calls into question, and in a very serious way as far I am concerned, ICANN's motivation for its continuing expansion of TLDs. Is ICANN trying to feed its need for travel by this ongoing push?

This organization needs a reset. It should shift its spending focus to virtual tools, video conferencing, and shift travel venues to points on the globe that provide the best possible and lowest cost airport connections. San Juan? This is a total waste of money.

The Internet doesn't need a travel budget.

Patrick Thibodeau
Reporter
Computerworld